First of all, those of you who have sometimes read my very long writings here know that I am basically the president of the Cuonzo Martin Fan Club. It was from the start. So when he was given up – yeah, me understand Why… you’ll win – you’re devastated. And I was hoping that the next leader of the Mizzou Hoops would be similar to the kind of guy we all knew was Zo, so I wouldn’t make me rethink buying a tix for the season.
And I know it’s early in his tenure—hell, he’s just starting Today (I wrote this Tuesday night) – But we sure got a good one. I was magically able to attend the entire press conference and just walked away from my liking. True, we’ll have to wait and see how the list will fit together, but I’m definitely optimistic.
Moving into this first order of business – along with assigning an auxiliary staff, that is – talking to the team and persuading some guys to stay.
You’ve likely seen it on this very site, but both Javon Beckett and Travon Brasil have entered their names in the portal. Guys, I know it’s sad, but the important thing to remember here is that this didn’t happen all of a sudden the day it started. They weren’t like, ‘Damn you, Coach. I’m outta here.’ It takes a bit for it to be fully processed, so these decisions have been made before Coach Gates has arrived. It also doesn’t mean he can’t talk to recently departed or recently released Anton Brookshire and Aidan Shaw and get them back on the plane. While some will likely listen and come back From others (link goes to Ben Arnett’s tweet)It’s definitely worth a conversation. And about what he talked about with the current players when he met them this morning, he said:
“I just let them see who I am as a person, as a man, as a head coach here. Sometimes it’s regional or even difficult to look at because I’m a coach coming from somewhere else. We’re in a transition. You protected their hearts in that transition, and I appreciate it.
“They were receptive. I told them my vision, my plans, the core values I mentioned to you guys today, but most importantly, I wanted them to ask me questions. I wanted these guys to be able to control the environment. Because often, as adults, we don’t listen. To young people in those painful stages. Shock to anyone, we have to pay attention too. We have to listen. We have to open our hearts, open our ears, and I just wanted to listen. So I told them my background, where I came from. I even made a joke, and they all laughed. I said, “I’ve You Googled me, right?” And they all did. So it was fun and it was exciting.”
Along with the current players on the roster, with whom he spoke on Tuesday morning, he will undoubtedly tackle the only player left in 2022 Mizzou, East St. Louis flyer Christian Jones. By the way, here are some recent things about him.
Expectations are high for Mizzou’s men’s hoops coach, but Coach Gates is ready.
“Guys, I’ll measure. I know the business and the profession I’m in. I realize it. I’m not running from it. I’m here to wrestle with it. I’m here to fight our opponents. Not just the SEC but the state. I understand that. I understand expectations, because My success can open doors for others. I understand that. So the word isn’t just a ‘national championship’. It’s not just the SEC tournament. It’s also to watch our kids walk across the stage. That’s what it’s all about, too. So the win might not be visible on ESPN and tape Sports news, but wins come in different ways, and it’s the opportunities we get. I want to see kids graduate and walk across the stage. This is also a win. I want to see our organization recognized nationally as a sports division, and sports among sports. I’m here because I know it’s possible “.
One last thing, just because I like this line:
“You may not have chosen me. But I am choosing you.”
Miss the whole event today? You can watch the video here or read the text.
on the links!
A note from our Slack channel, provided by Josh, that made me laugh so hard:
The entire Mizzou Nation watches, with starry eyes, as Dennis Gates delivers his introductory remarks. Meanwhile, Nate Edwards is sitting in a dark room, refreshing the football team roster page, and waiting for the depth angle to disappear.
- From PowerMizzou’s Mitchell Fordy, Here’s Your Unofficial Football Scholarship Scheme for 2022
- For your listening ears, listen to Hangin with Mookie Cooper Episode 8 and Touchdown Luther Burden Show Episode 3 (PowerMizzou)
- From KC Star’s Lila Bromberg, Ilya Drinkewitz reflects on the spring soccer game, and the next steps for the Missouri Tigers
- Columbia Missourians: Joy Mazur writes, the state’s decision will honor former MU coach Gary Pinkel. Kenny Van Doren wrote, MU Cornerback Reeves Enters the Transfer Portal, as well as Drinkwitz notes the strengths and weaknesses of the MU Spring Game.
- New commitment? Welcome, Gilani!
Men’s Collars: AKA The Main Event
- It’s a thing of beauty, Coach Gates!
- I like this too. The man is walking quote. Site friend Blake Lovell was right, I love this guy!
Dennis Gates, who scores some extra points with the locals, shows reverence for # Mizu Legend Norm Stewart who recruited Gates out of high school years ago.
“The seed of how special Missouri was at the time…”
– BenArnetKOMU (@BenArnetKOMU) March 22 2022
- Interesting tweet from Matter here on the status of SEC coaches:
Miss St: New Mexico St
Missouri: Cleveland Street
South Carolina: Chattanooga
Tennessee: Texas (dismissed)
Texas A&M: Virginia Tech
Vanderbilt: Memphis Grizzlies assistant
– Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) March 22 2022
Women’s Hoops: YIKES
– BenArnetKOMU (@BenArnetKOMU) March 22 2022
- And… it’s not over. At about 10 p.m. on Tuesday, another shoe fell. This time, it was LaDazhia Williams. The major will take its Covid year elsewhere. Oh…and maybe we’re not done yet. [sadly sings TSwift’s ‘this is why we can’t have nice things’]
Other sports Mizzou
- And in case you forgot how the weekend went…
- Alex Honnold: A fan of extra base hits. And we love her for that!
It will continue with Friday links this week…there was a lot of news on Tuesday, ye…
– – – – – – – – – – – – –
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: Click here to get ESPN+ now!
If you’re looking to subscribe to a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: Click here to access FuboTV – FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, although RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. **)